Rainey Twins Est. December 22nd 2005.

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Cream of Broccoli and Cheddar Soup.




Cream of Broccoli and Cheddar Soup.
Red Pepper Style. 

This soup is a favorite  for Devan and I. Chris hates the smell of it, Ryleigh wants to like it but can't stomach it. Don't worry Ry I probably (I know) I would have hated this soup as a child. 

I trippled the recipe this time for the simple fact that we are out in two days each time I make it. It is not too difficult to make but it does take a good hour or so in the kitchen. 

Tripling this recipe filled 12, 300ml mason jars to the top! I am guessing you can fit about 400ml in the jar when it is full. 

You will need. 
Butter, Onion, Garlic, Celery, Chicken Broth, Flour, Milk, Pepper, Broccoli and Shredded Cheddar Cheese.

I also used half of a red pepper finely chopped in the sauteing stage to add extra flavor and color. 

The following amounts are for a single batch.

Start with sauteing over medium heat in a large pan/pot (you will need room for the broccoli and chicken broth) 2 tbs butter, 1/4 onion finely chopped, 1 large or 2 small garlic gloves minced, and 1 celery stock.

Chop 4 cups of broccoli florets, I used frozen. I thawed them out in the microwave. Be picky about only using the tops, running into the hard part in the soup is not pleasant.

After your mix has sauteed add in the 4 cups of broccoli and 29oz of chicken broth. Simmer.  When tender mash with a potato masher. 

In a medium sauce pan over medium heat melt 3tbs of butter, add in 4 tbs of flour and 2 cups of milk. Stir constantly until thick and bubbly. You can use more flour to thicken if needed. 


Once thickened add to the first (larger pot) and stir it all together. Add in the 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese. I always chop my shredded cheese up to ensure there is no stringy pieces of cheese in the soup. Add pepper to taste. 


Now that your soup is done it will be pretty "runny" set it in the fridge overnight and it will thicken up! The runny stage does not stop us from eating it right away at our house, it taste just as good then. 

I will be freezing my soup in mason jars, yummy homemade soup in minutes!

1 comment:

  1. I will be making this for Isaac.I am with Chris and Ryleigh on this one.... OH and there is no way Becca Do would have eaten this. <3

    ReplyDelete

Two beautiful twin girls and a loving Mommy and Daddy