Rainey Twins Est. December 22nd 2005.

Monday, March 10, 2014

Cheer Comp Time



I have had several post on FB and Instagram over the past few weeks pertaining to cheer competitions, THAT'S BECAUSE IT CONSUMES YOUR LIVES!


I am NOT a "Cheer Mom" I love that my girls love it but we don't really take it all that serious. It keeps them active! I think what classifies a Mom of cheerleaders as a "Cheer Mom" is when the mom takes it more seriously than the kids.

Our girls practiced for HOURS this season. Their season started earlier than last year so they could get in LOTS of practice, starting at the beginning of November. Practices were one and a half hours, one night a week at first. The first thing they learned was their sideline cheers. There were around 30 girls that signed up to cheer so they divided the teams into two teams.

Practices started on the weekends somewhere around January - February. Three hour practices, these were tough on the girls. BUT our girls knew their competition was going to be tough. I don't think any of us were ready for what we were up against last year. Last year it was an accomplishment for the girls to take the mat and cheer at all. HUNDREDS of people and our little shell shocked girls.

This year the girls practice paid off.  March 9th was the big day. We stayed in Bangor the night before where comps were on daylights savings time and the girls had to be up so early. The hotel was LOUD until around 11:00pm, lesson learned, get a hotel without a pool, somewhere there that does not appeal to kids.

I drove to the Cross Insurance Center at 7:40 to drop the girls off, I was instructed to "drive up to the loading dock and drop your cheerleader off" You can't enter the building. I was happy to see the bus out front with the rest of the girls waiting to go in. My girls jumped on the bus to wait and I drove back to the hotel to pack up and get Mum and Isaac.

NEXT we waited, finally the performances started. ALL of the girls did a great job. Cheer leading is no easy sport. A lot of work goes into it. Both from the coaches and our girls.

When our girls went on I thought I was going to throw up. SO much nervousness for them. They did their thing and ROCKED it. They actually stood a chance this year. When all the girls were done cheering and waiting for awards our girls sat in a circle and held hands. I love how much support they have for each other.  They announced the winners for our girls class and division, they don't acknowledge 3rd place at competitions which is where our girls placed. When they were announcing that Warren won the Pee Wee division for grades 4-6 they accidentally called our girls names. Of course they didn't realize that they really didn't win, it was a mistake.  Such a sad, happy moment. They were happy for the big girls but it was a big let down.  I was sitting twenty rows up watching out little girls grades K-2 upset and heart broken. Luckily we have the best coaches in the world there to comfort them. If it were anyone else I would have Momma Bear'd myself down there and hugged my kids.

So in the end the girls placed third in the 3rd-5th grade division :) Even though they are younger then 3-5 that is where their skill level was so they were put in that category. They increased their score from last year by 30 points! AND they loved it. They really had a good time and can't wait for next year. At the end of the year last year they were so tired of cheer and upset over losing I wondered if they would want to sign up this year. Secretly I wished they didn't. BAD Mom I know. Next year I am excited for cheer. It's physical, keeps them going and teaches them to be a team player and that if you really, really want something you have to try hard. Most importantly that dreams do come true. I can't wait to see what next year has to offer!


Swimming the night before competitions. 



Little cheer outfits


The girls waiting to take the mat 




Sitting in a circle holding hands 




2nd place winners for 4-6 grade. GO PANTHERS 





Thank you so much Claire and Julie for everything you have done for our girls. You guys are the most amazing coaches ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Two beautiful twin girls and a loving Mommy and Daddy